Below we have an easy-to-follow sushi recipe so you can enjoy the benefits of sushi at home. Combining rice, seaweed, wasabi sauce, salmon, cucumber, dill and onion; this recipe features a winning combination of proteins and complex carbohydrates, which help repair muscles and give your body energy. The finished product will also top up your levels of Omega 3, calcium, magnesium and iron, all of which contribute to a healthier and balanced body.
For this cooking project you will need:
• 375ml of short grain rice
• 425ml cold water
• 50ml rice vinegar
• 4 large sheets (8x7 inches) toasted nori seaweed
• 15ml wasabi paste or 25ml honey mustard
• 90g smoked salmon- sliced into strips
• ¼ British cucumber- peeled and sliced into 8 inch strips
• 8 long pieces of dill
• 8 chives or strips of green onion
• Wash the rice thoroughly and add to a saucepan of cold water.
• Cover the saucepan with cling film and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
• Replace the cling film with a saucepan lid - which you should then keep on for the following instructions.
• Place saucepan on the hob and bring to the boil, maintaining boiling point for 4 minutes.
• Bring the heat down to a simmer and cook for a further 8 - 10 minutes.
• Steam the rice, away from the hob for a further 15 minutes.
• Place the rice in a bowl and gently mix in the vinegar by tossing the rice.
• Split the rice into four 250ml portions.
• Using a tea towel in lieu of a sushi mat, place a nori sheet,smooth side down on the towel.
• With cool, damp hands evenly cover this with a portion of rice,making sure to spread it over the entire sheet (but leave a 1cm strip at one edge.)
• Create a wasabi paste (or use a premade paste) by adding a little water to the wasabi powder. Allow this to rest for 2 minutes.
• Spread the wasabi mix down the centre of the rice.
• Place a selection of salmon, cucumber, dill and chive/pepper slices over the wasabi (2 slices of each ingredient suggested).
• Roll the nori seaweed up, using the tea towel to tightly press the roll into place.
• Repeat this process with the rest of the ingredients.
• Cut each roll into bite size pieces, and enjoy!